Monday, June 27, 2011

A Letter to my Students

I am a bit behind on this, but wanted to share a letter that I give to my students at the end of every year.  I had such a great class this year - was so sad to see them go.  They sure kept me smiling every day.  It is so true how fast kids grow up! Before I know it, these 2nd graders will be graduating.  It just makes me want to savor every moment of Payton's childhood!

Dear second graders,

I can’t believe how fast this year has gone! The following is a poem written by Shel Silverstein. I thought it was appropriate for the end of our school year together.

All the Woulda, Coulda, Shouldas

All the woulda-coulda-shouldas

Layin’ in the sun

Talkin’ ‘bout the things

They woulda-coulda-shoulda-done.

But those woulda-coulda-shouldas

All ran away and hid

From one little

DID.

Even though you will only be entering third grade, you (and your parents!) won’t believe how fast that time will go. You will grow up all too quickly. So, during your next years of elementary school, followed by intermediate, middle, and high school, concentrate on doing things that will have a positive effect on your lives. Choose your friends wisely, listen to your parents and teachers, and do the very best you possibly can in everything you attempt. Graduation day will arrive sooner than you can imagine, and when it does, don’t look back on the things you would have done, could have done, or should have done. My hope is that you will look back on a fine, long list of accomplishments that happened because you aimed high, took chances, lived up to your potential, and most importantly you DID something.

I have wonderful hopes for each of you, and I can’t wait to hear about all your DIDS! Have a wonderful summer!

Sincerely,

Mrs. Pietig

No comments:

Post a Comment